Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:09:31 -0500
On 01/21/2011 07:45 PM, Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk) wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 4:02 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
>> You really need two soldering irons for the job. A smaller iron to solder
>> the inner pin and then a big 100 watt iron to solder the outer jacket.
> Just one big one that gets hot fast.  It has to be in and out quick. A
> deft touch with the 225 watt Weller will do both the barrel and the
> tip.  However when soldering the barrel there is a lot of mass that has
> to be heated hot enough for the solder to flow.  The problem usually is
> not enough heat instead of too much. If the gun/iron doesn't get hot
> enough to melt the solder quickly the barrel gets so hot overall it
> melts the dielectric before you can solder the braid.

Even a 40W iron seems to work fine, as long as it has
a real heavy tip.

Between soldering the different holes I need to turn
the LMR-400 around anyway, which gives the iron time
to heat back up to a good temperature :)

I guess a much more powerful iron would probably be
even easier...

--
All rights reversed.