Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259

To: "Rik van Riel" <riel@surriel.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:16:30 -0500
From: "Rik van Riel" <riel@surriel.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, 21 January, 2011 11:09 PM

> On 01/21/2011 07:45 PM, Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk) wrote:
>> On 1/21/2011 4:02 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
>>> You really need two soldering irons for the job. A smaller iron to
>>> solder
>>> the inner pin and then a big 100 watt iron to solder the outer jacket.
>> Just one big one that gets hot fast.  It has to be in and out quick. A
>> deft touch with the 225 watt Weller will do both the barrel and the
>> tip.  However when soldering the barrel there is a lot of mass that has
>> to be heated hot enough for the solder to flow.  The problem usually is
>> not enough heat instead of too much. If the gun/iron doesn't get hot
>> enough to melt the solder quickly the barrel gets so hot overall it
>> melts the dielectric before you can solder the braid.
>
> Even a 40W iron seems to work fine, as long as it has
> a real heavy tip.
>
> Between soldering the different holes I need to turn
> the LMR-400 around anyway, which gives the iron time
> to heat back up to a good temperature :)
>
> I guess a much more powerful iron would probably be
> even easier...

I use a Panavise to hold the coax while I am soldering the connector. I like
to point the connector downwards when soldering the centre pin and point the
connector upwards when soldering the body, so that solder doesn't flow by
gravity towards the open end of the coax inside the connector.

Mark N1UK