Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:13:48 -0500
On 1/21/2011 7:47 PM, Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk) wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 7:13 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
>> Yucko!  Simply tin the braid. Then make the cut, and thread into the
>> connector body. No "hairs" to come loose and short or arc because they are
>> too close.
> Yup!  Although this method does work, there are just too many negatives
> associated with it.
I've had a number ask what I see as negatives for this approach.  I'm
referring to the folding back of the braid over the jacket and then
screwing the PL259 over it.

I've seen some of these connections work for years, I've removed some
that had become noisy, and a very small number than had pulled apart.
Those that came apart could very well have come apart even if soldered
in the normal manner. I don't know what kind of load they had on them.
I've also removed some from installations that were working, but I sure
couldn't understand why because of the shape they were in.  Corroded and
even wet which is as much the poor sealing of the connector as any other
reason.

I see this as a lot of small copper conductors pressed against Nickle,
Silver, and other metals forming dissimilar metal contacts with the
potential of becoming diode connections as the copper ages.  As these
wires are quite fine, they may or may not help out mechanically as they
are all pointing in one direction. Also the threads tend to cut into
them, thus weakening them.

I tend to be a bit picky and this approach looks unprofessional/(like crap)

73

Roger (K8RI)