[TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 03:32:26 -0800
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 02:59:35 +0000
From: Barry Kirkwood <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>

Greetings from Chiangmai
where every prospect pleases.

Been following the thread started by the gentleman asking about feeding his
G5RV (or variant thereof).

The humble G5RV antenna was invented not long after WWII by the
multitalented Louis Varney (SK), intended as a cheap and cheerful compact
all hf band antenna. In those days the hf bands were 10, 20, 40 and 80m. The
15m band had not yet been opened to the amateur service and the WARC bands
were not even a gleam in the radio amateur's eye.

Basically a dipole (or inverted V)  of some 100 ft length (the UK had yet to
be metricated) centre fed with a balanced feeder of around 33 ft and thence
by 75 ohm coax of length sufficient to reach the transmitter.

##  My understanding was the original G5RV was just a 20m ant.  It would
be similar to using a 40m dipole  on it's  3rd harmonic on 15m.  Make a dipole
99-100' long...and it will resonate on 20m..on it's 3rd harmonic.

##  sure it will work on most bands..barely.  I do notice that folks who use
G5RV's  on
80m are usually down in signal strength from other folks using full size ant's
on 80m. I hear
this all the time on large nets on 75m.  The G5RV boys never have big signals.
they are always
2nd and 3rd tier.   Now if you made the dipole  370'  long..and used it on it's
3rd harmonic on 75m
it would probably work like gangbusters.

later.. Jim   VE7RF