[TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:47:10 -0800
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:50:38 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

A mandrel or something inside the tube also helps. A piece of rod with a cross
drilled hole...

On Feb 19, 2011, at 2:19 PM, "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net> wrote:

> I thought a well-aligned V-block and a drill press would be just the thing
> to drill the holes straight.  Two drill sizes is fine with me...
>
> Nice summary!
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

###  DX ENG  makes this handy dandy tool  made for drilling holes in
tubing..and it
works VERY slick.    Drill Guide Kit - DXE-D3206
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=2448&PLID=276&SecID=138&DeptID=43&PartNo=DXE%2DD3206

##  I have also used the same dx eng tool..to  drill  really long holes into 2
x 4x4" at right angles... for the forms  around the
concrete base [ top portion on lawn].   In that case, I used a  really long
drill bit, slightly undersized, and drilled through the
1st 4x4..then into the 2nd 4x4.    The 1st 4x4 is then re-drilled  to easily
pass the  3/8"  lag bolts.  An impact gun then used
to install the 3/8" lag bolts [ with big washers under the heads].  repeat the
process for the other 3 x corners of the form.

## On Al and steel tubing, els, and also booms.. the DXE-D3206  works very
well..out in the backyard.  I bought  3 x identical
2' tall AL step ladder stool  from local home depot...and put em at each end of
the boom..and also the middle.

##  Inside the shop in the basement,  I normally use the V shape feature  on my
small portable drill press.  The portable drill press
is old, and used with any hand drill.  The flat table can be flipped 180 deg
upside down... and then the long V  notch is exposed .
Even though the v notch is small... it's plenty big enough to handle tubing
from very small diams  up to huge diams.

##  When playing with long booms  or typ long els.... it's  awkward in a
basement, low ceiling and too many pillars about, etc.
 I used to just take the portable drill  press into backyard, but then it has
to sit on a workmate, or similar.  When drilling booms,
this is a pita, since the boom has to be the correct height.  To solve that
problem, i bought an adjustable height stand, that comes with
both a flat set of rollers on top..and also a huge pair of V shaped rollers...
made for tubing.  Done this way... the long ele/boom sits in the V roller
and the other end in the drill press's  own V notch.    You simply  roll the
boom/ele back and forth, and drill all you want.

##  The DX eng tool eliminates all that hassle.  It comes with it's own V
notch..and mating drop in steel drill guides, and
mating locating pin.  Makes  drilling holes into tubing a snap..even drilling
parallel to the lawn..which is impossible  with a drill press.

## sometime's you just can't  rotate a boom to drill  into the side /bottom of
the boom...esp if els are already mounted etc.  With the
DX eng drill guide,  you can easily drill into the boom, from the top, sides,
or bottom..without having to touch the boom.     You can do the same
on existing els..esp if they are already mounted to the boom... and you want
the rivets  on the underside of the ele.

## no doubt other's  sell  similar or better drill  guides.   Since I was
already ordering stuff  from DX eng.. I saw this drill guide..and added it
to the order.

Later.......Jim  VE7RF