Re: [TowerTalk] Sorry to bring up an oldie - Mast Material

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w7psk@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sorry to bring up an oldie - Mast Material
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:24:27 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2011 12:01:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Im really confused.  Id like to buy Local, because  the mail order
houses have
Really high prices and high shipping
plus  they only do 5 or 10ft intervals.

>  I have a Glen Martin 9ft  roof mount tower.  Its just shy of 4ft from
the rotor
to the top of  the tower.  Right now I have
a 2 1/2" Fence Post mast (really heavy  wall) that I hold an A4S up with.

>  A4 is going bad so I  decided to get my dream antenna the standard
SteppIR 3
element beam and  nothing else will go on the mast.  I would
like to get 8ft as that  will give me 4ft above the tower, I can put the
antenna
at 2 - 3 feet and  be ok.

Hiya, Scotty --

    The 3L SteppIR isn't appreciably bigger than the  A-4 you're currently
using. Go ahead and use what you've got.

    If you want to go a little higher, use 1.5"  galvanized pipe (that's
the ID measurement - the OD is 1.9"). The SteppIR  U-clamps are very snug for
a 2" mast so they'll work FB on a 1.9" piece of  steel.

    The main factor is that it's going on a  roof-mounted tower. The tower
will likely blow off the roof before the mast  (whatever it is) bends.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and