[TowerTalk] pull lubricant

To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] pull lubricant
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:48:28 -0400
Tomorrow I'll be doing a project I've been putting off for about 14 years:
replacing two runs of LMR400UF in a 4-inch 265-foot conduit between the
house and one of my tower locations.

I'll be pulling two runs of 1/2" heliax: one run will be Andrew LDF4-50 foam
dielectric heliax, and the other will be Andrew HL4RP-50A air dielectric
heliax. I have enough of the foam dielectric for a continuous run, but I'm
about 15' short on the air dielectric. The plan is that when we get close to
the end of the pull, put a connector on the end of the air dielectric heliax
and attach a 15' link of Buryflex to make up the difference. I don't think
there's ever been any water in the conduit, but the joint will be well
waterproofed just in case.

The question is whether I'll need to use pull-lube for this job. The
conduit-to-cable diameter ratio is a healthy 4:1, and there will be no other
cables in the conduit. I had no problems pulling the two runs of LMR400UF
through it. But there are three 90-degree sweeps in the conduit: one at each
end and one in the middle, and I plan to pull both runs together. Would the
experts out there recommend using pull lube?

(Another question: I have some concern about pulling the air dielectric
through the conduit. I've already seen how intolerant it is of any kinking
(long story, but that's why I only have 250'.) Can air dielectric heliax
make it through three 90-degree sweeps without damage? I have enough
RG-331/U to do the job if the consensus is that I shouldn't try to pull the
air dielectric stuff.)

73, Dick WC1M