Re: [TowerTalk] pull lubricant

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pull lubricant
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:12:25 -0400
Thanks for all the replies. Some good stuff in there.

Just to clarify, the 4-inch conduit is buried 4-feet down, and has been for
almost 14 years (the ground around here is very rocky and gets very hard
after a few winters.) I'm not about to dig up the conduit, remove the
sweeps, etc. This is my secondary antenna farm, used mostly for S&P on the
second radio in SO2R contesting, so there's a limit to how far I'll go to
reduce signal loss. After all, I've lived with coax for 14 years. Yeah, the
run loses about 1/3 of the transmit power on 10m and I'd like to improve
that. But dig up the conduit? Nah. My primary tower is fed with two 200'
runs of 1-5/8" heliax and 7/8" up the tower. If I need to be louder, I can
always use that antenna farm.

I'm doing this because the 1/2" heliax was free. If it turns out I can't
pull it, I'll put coax back in the conduit. And to answer one question, I
used LMR400UF because it's what I had on hand -- I was using it for the coax
going up a crankup tower, thinking it was the most flexible low-loss coax I
could use (Wrong. It's not all that flexible. Buryflex is much more
flexible.)

As for the turn in the "middle", now that I think back it probably wasn't
done with a 90-degree sweep. While the two ends are 90 degrees apart, I
don't really know how the turn was accomplished -- I don't recall the exact
path of the trench and I wasn't looking when that part of the conduit was
installed. The original invoice for conduit materials shows only two 4"
sweeps, which are the two at each end. That leads me to believe the turn is
more gentle than 90-degrees. After all, there was plenty of room to make it
gentle, and the guy who dug the trench and installed the conduit was an
expert. He knew cables would be pulled through it. Anyway, I guess we'll
find out how gentle that turn is.

Also, the turn isn't really in the middle. It's about 200 feet from one end
and about 65 feet from the other end. While it does make some sense to start
from the end closer to the turn so that some gentle pushing from the feed
end can help get past the turn, the run happens to go down a steep hill and
the end that's closer to the turn is at the bottom. I think it's a lot more
important to pull downhill -- 500+ feet of heliax is pretty heavy and I'm
not about to try pulling it uphill. So I'll be starting at the end farther
from the turn.

I just loaded up on 1.75 gallons of lube (all Home Depot had.) Hope that
will be enough.

FWIW, my plan back in 1997, when I installed the conduits and the antenna
farm in question, was to put two runs of 7/8" heliax in the conduit. The
tower rigger who advised me had said that I should size the conduit 2x the
cable diameter. So I figured 4" would be plenty. But when I mentioned to the
rigger that I needed to find some 7/8" heliax, he got very skeptical about
pulling it through the conduit. He said, "I thought you were talking about
1/2" heliax!" So much for the 7/8"! Now that I've worked with 7/8" heliax
more, I can see that it would indeed be a challenge to pull two runs of it
through the 4" conduit, even without the sweeps at the ends.

73, Dick WC1M