[TowerTalk] Harness, Gorilla Hooks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Harness, Gorilla Hooks
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 23:57:06 -0400
I just bought a Klein harness, which has an eye in the back, behind the
shoulders.  This looks like a very bad idea to me, since a fall will surely
drive ones face into the tower.  With a little bad luck, it will hook ones
chin on a brach and break ones neck.
What am I missing here??

Steve's harness has no chest hook, so if using a runner one will wind up
hanging more or less horizontal, with severe stress on the spine when
fetching up on the lanyard.
What am I missing here?

Re hooks:  I saw some guys climbing a while back with large OPEN hooks,
which were great for easy moving while climbing.  They were like giant fish
hooks, maybe four inches across the opening...no snap gates to deal with.
What are they called?  I didn't see them at any of the dealers.

Obviously I haven't started climbiing yet, but hope to soon.

73,
Wilson
W4BOH