Re: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:10:29 -0400 (EDT)
Steve, the theory for using an inert filler is that the space inside the
connector is filled, leaving no room for water. Valid? Who knows?!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/5/2011 2:28:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
K7LXC@aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 10/5/2011 12:01:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have never  used "Stuff", I imagine that it would be  hard to clean
out
of
the connector afterwards.  It probably does no  harm, but it is  better to
spend your efforts sealing the outside of the  connector  properly.

Boy, I'm with you 100% on that one. The  stuff is  a mess. I've never
understood why I would want to flood an  RF connector with a
non-conducting
goo.

You're  up in the air on a tower and then  your hands/gloves have that
stuff  on them and it's slippery and hard to get  off, even on the ground.
Slippery gloves/hands on a tower not  recommended.

If you do the standard job of electrical tape,  vapor wrap and  then
more electrical tape - that's a bomb-proof joint and no  need  for the
aforementioned goo.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -