Re: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:53:39 -0400
>>   I used both: STUF on the inside as well as Coax-Seal on  the outside.
>
>      Please tell me you didn't put the CoaxSeal  directly on the connector.
Why not?
> While I hate CoaxSeal (since most people put it  directly on a connector,
> thus rendering the connector useless if you ever  take the connector off),
I don't particularly like CoaxSeal as I think there are better approaches.
It may be messy but certainly does not render the connector useless.
> if
> you put a layer or 2 of tape on the  connector first, and then put the
> CoaxSeal on followed by 2 more wraps of  tape, its use is acceptable.
> Otherwise
> it's a one-time use.
It may not look pretty but it's certainly not a one time use.

Where possible, I use flooded heat shrink directly on connectors which
leaves a lot of hot melt glue on the connectors.
Up on the tower I use the self vulcanizing tape. (scotch 2228 or 3M) I
then cover that with either 88 or 33 tape, unless it's really cold. In
cold weather 33 and 88 do not work well even if I keep it warm in my
pocket.  In the cold wind it loses its ability to stick quickly and I've
never had the 2228 tape lose its ability to seal even in zero weather.

73

Roger (K8RI)