[TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 22:19:56 -0700
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 15:27:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re;   STUF Weather Proofing compound...

    Boy, I'm with you 100% on that one. The stuff is  a mess. I've never
understood why I would want to flood an RF connector with a  non-conducting
goo.

###  well, it's standard  procedure to slop a thin layer of dow corning
silicone on the
center pins and also the threads  of andrew heliax connectors in the cell
industry.

###  DC-4 is the preferred silicone grease...good  for 1kv  per mil  [ .001"]
Buried in the Andrew catalogue  some where, they mention  it's use on coax
connectors.   They
also mention microscopic arcing, when the grease is not used on connectors.
ken at cal-av labs
also  advocated it's  use on 7-16 din connectors etc.   Coax pins don't make a
perfect contact
in the mating female.   The dc-4 grease fills the voids  where u have small
gaps.   If u wiggle and
move stuff about, the grease just shifts  around,and still fills the tiny gaps
+ voids.

##  Once the connector is torqued down tight, then the 88 tape, heat shrink
tubing [ or vapor wrap]  is
applied, then  more 88 tape, etc.   [ tape/wrap/tape]

##  I tried  coax seals years ago, directly on connectors...and had a 50 k
short on a gamma  matched 20m yagi.
The 50 k short  was cuz of water that was inside the coax seal.  I took the
mess of coax seal off..and presto, inside
was  a pocket of water !   Dunno how it got in there, but once in..it will not
come out.

## coax seal might work if applied over top of 88 tape.    Why even bother ?
  Our local home depot carries
both  33 + 88 tape   and also  vapour wrap.   Vapour wrap is just rubber
tape...with no sticky on either side.
You can also get vapour wrap..with sticky on one/both sides.

later.......... Jim  VE7RF

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -