Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:27:37 -0700
Rulon and Vespel are terrific materials and fantastic choices for a slow
speed bearing, metal to plastic.  No stick slip, lowest coefficient of
friction for rulon, thermally stable, no moisture absorption, high PV
ratings, yada yada.

HOWEVER, a Vespel bearing for a 2" mast might cost more than the tower,
rotator, mast, and antennas all together.  It is fantastic stuff but
incredibly expensive.  I understand the DuPont patents have run out so
there are knockoffs coming to market, but still quite expensive. Rulon
is somewhat cheaper but still has an impressive price.

How about Nylon MDS as a alternative - molybedenum disulfide filled
nylon has good wear and UV resistance and is inexpensive.  I've bought
2" thick plate on ebay at very low prices e.g. $40/sq ft.  It would make
a good radial bearing and maybe with some engineering a combined
radial/thrust bearing, which if the thrust load exceeds the rotator
capacity, what is needed.  Otherwise, use the rotator for thrust and
have just a nylon MDS sleeve bearing to handle the top of tower radial
load.  Bore a hole 0.025" or so oversize the mast od, drill a bolt
pattern to fit the top plate and install.  Might be a good idea to
smooth up the galvanizing where it contacts the nylon.

Simple, cheap, no maintenance, no rust, no discussion of grease.

Grant KZ1W