Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:44:32 -0400
Hi John.

Yes!  Except for the mounting holes in both halves - the same.

My lower Delrin donut rode squarely on the bearing plate above the rotor
and was drilled and countersunk for four mounting bolts to ensure that
it wouldn't rotate.  The downward force of the mast and antenna was
applied to the upper donut (and thus the lower donut) through a pin that
was inserted through the mast.  The upper donut was not drilled in four
spots as in the case of the lower but rather had a 'trough' of sorts,
drilled across the top face of it that the mast pin laid in as it
projected out either side of the mast.

It's a simple and forgiving system.  If, after a few years the mating
surfaces get scored because of foreign material entering the picture,
they can be flipped and used for a few more years.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com