Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:36:05 -0400
> From: Tony
>
> So there's no advantage in grounding a tower with AGW 2/0
> vs #10?
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm in the process of installing a US Tower TX-472... 72' of lightning rod.  I
plan on using 2/0 wire (or equivalent), per the drawings I purchased from my PE
(Hank Lonberg, KR7X).  If I don't, the county won't give final approval.  Do
what your PE says to do.

Philosophically speaking, when it comes to lightning protection, I'd rather go
big than small.  Only fuses should act like fuses (and ground leads should
not).  2/0 is 0.104 sq in (365 mils).  A strap that is 2" x 0.05" would be
equivalent.  As much as we have invested in the rest of the tower/antenna
system, even a few feet of 2/0 wire is a relatively inexpensive one-time
purchase.  Tom W8JI has written some material on the subject of grounding and
lightning that is worth reading:

Station Grounding: http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm
Ground Systems: http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm
Lightning: http://www.w8ji.com/lightning.htm

Note to Hank: Due to various circumstances, I have to postpone my project.
But, the county accepted your drawings and sent the Health Department out to
verify that it won't interfere with my septic drainfield.  The lead person at
Planning & Development Services (also a ham) said she was excited when she saw
I wanted to install a ham tower.  She said that, in 20 years, she hadn't seen a
request for a ham tower that tall.

vy 73,

Bryan WA7PRC
Everett, WA