Re: [TowerTalk] tool to retrieve data and build HFTA profiles

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tool to retrieve data and build HFTA profiles
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:55:23 -0800
On 3/5/12 12:32 PM, Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> This sounds terrific, Jim, and will be a huge boon to the amateur radio
> community.
>
> One question: are you proposing to generate .pro files with data out to the
> full 50-60 miles, or just what HFTA can deal with (5000 meters, I think)?

Just to what HFTA can deal with..

But rather than try to figure out which tiles to retrieve, you just
retrieve the one you're in and the surrounding ones.  (if you wanted to
be clever, if your longitude were, say, W118.9, there's no point in
retrieving the W117 tile, because the boundary line is 60 miles away.

I might think about it, though.. you could have a pretty simple rule..
if fractional part of west longitude <0.2 then don't retrieve left hand
neighbor.
if fractional part of west longitude >0.8, then don't retrieve right
hand neighbor.

But it gets tricky pretty fast (and harder to test..)