Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:52:51 +0100
Ian,

Yes, when the choke reactance and the CM path reactance have the same
sign there's a bonus. But what I was actually trying to show in that
analysis is that the CM path reactance may have an upper limit; and if
that's the case, even when the signs are opposite there may still be a
very useful contribution from the choke reactance.

Jim's own figures show a #61 choke having >5000 Ohms reactance over a
2:1 frequency range; if the worst-case path reactance is 2000 Ohms, we
know that choke is going to provide a "net" 3000 Ohms impedance over
that frequency range, no matter what. That seems to me pretty useful,
particularly as it will handle a lot more power than an equivalent 3000
Ohm choke wound on one of the lossy mixes.

I'm simply questioning whether we have too readily dismissed reactive
chokes because "only a choke's resistance counts".

73,
Steve G3TXQ