Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:13:54 +0100
Ian,

I'll have one last try to get my point across, then I'll admit defeat :)

Yes, you have been consistent in saying that "only the choke's
resistance is completely DEPENDABLE" for solving RFI problems; until a
few days ago I was consistently saying the same thing. Now I'm gently
challenging that wisdom for certain common choke applications.

If I have a choke with an impedance of 200+j5000, and it is being used
in a system where the CM reactance _must_ lie between +j2000 and -j2000,
it seems to me that the "net" j3000 Ohms reactance is every bit as
"dependable" as the 200 Ohms resistance. And the benefit is that the
reactive choke will dissipate only 1/15 the power of a 3000 Ohm
resistive choke flowing the same Icm.

There - now I really will be quiet ;)

Steve G3TXQ