[TowerTalk] G5RV balun question

To: <ham-antennas@yahoogroups.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV balun question
From: "John G." <af5cc@fidmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:39:40 -0000
I have a homebrew G5RV type antenna.  The antenna wire is fed with 300 ohm
radio shack twin lead, which runs to a Van Gorden HI-Q 4:1 balun, which then
feeds RG-11 75ohm coax.  I have used this system for 14 years now with good
results. I am wonder if adding a coax choke balun (several turns of coax wound
up in a circle) would help at all. I would like to minimize RF on the shield of
the coax (as well as noise it would pick up) and think the HI-Q balun should do
this, but would the coax choke help as well, or just be redundant?

John AF5CC