Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV balun question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 23:38:59 -0700
On 5/10/2012 2:39 PM, John G. wrote:
> I am wonder if adding a coax choke balun (several turns of coax wound up in a
> circle) would help at all.

No, that would be of zero benefit.  What COULD help is winding multiple
turns of the coax through #31 ferrite cores, or building one of the
bifilar chokes described in my RFI tutorial. See the Choke Cookbook and
the tutorial material about chokes in the preceding chapter of

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

What the choke does is keep RF off of the feedline, and, because
antennas work the same on both RX and TX, prevents the feedline from
being part of the antenna.  Yes, the potential benefits are less RF in
the shack (and your neighbor's living room), and less noise pickup on
the feedline.  Is this SURE to help? Nope -- but it can't hurt (unless
you manage to break something in the process), and whether it helps will
depend entirely on conditions in and around your QTH, and how your
antenna and feedline relate to noise sources. But in today's nasty RF
noisy environment, we need all the help we can get.

73, Jim Brown K9YC