Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:51:02 -0500 (CDT)
I agree with thicker plates if you are doing an insulator like that, the ones i
got are probably 1/2" or so and well galvanized.  the standard roof or pier pin
plates are meant to be supported on their whole surface not just in the middle.
 If the commercial stuff is too expensive i would do something with a 2-3"
thick piece of lexan or fiberglass big enough to support the whole base
plate... then probably just epoxy it down to the concrete, or maybe put a
couple of small bolts sticking up an inch or so from the concrete into pockets
drilled in it, and a bolt in a pocket as a pier pin from the top... that would
be lots stronger for side stresses than the porcelain like i have.  if i were
doing the raised one again i would sandwich something like that between the
plates i have and keep the leg braces for lateral support.