Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators

To: k1ttt@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:39:20 -0400
TT,

I tried to use a surplus HV line insulator on my 160 Rohn 25 vertical, but
I couldn't convince myself that I could keep it stable and loaded in column
(vertical). I finally made my own base insulator, and it's been in service
for four years now.

<
https://picasaweb.google.com/116677848251094111716/AntennaStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3-i-O46I-6kgE#5771759616145127026

The insulator is 3" diameter and, while I originally thought of making it
out of HDPE (as shown in the pix), I finally came to my senses and machined
it out of fiberglass, painted for better resistance to the environment. The
base of the cup is 1/2" thick, and it fits over a pier pin. There is also a
recess in the bottom of the insulator to clear the pier pin.

73,

geo - n4ua