Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] base insulators
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
David,

I have pondered using this style insulator but have had concerns as to how well
they could survive the forces you experienced which led to failure. One option
would be to fabricate a pier pin to bolt to the top of the insulator so that
the tower base insulator behaves as a pier pin on which a tower pier pin base
plate sits, or better yet, a tapered bottom section of tower. My other concern
lies in the relatively small diameter of the insulator with respect to the
tower diameter. I would be more comfortable with a wider insulator especially
at its base and cap. I have seen 1/4" base plates bent because of the forces
applied between anchor bolts and tower legs. The answer of course it to
fabricate with thicker plate when the forces cannot be kept linear.

73,
Jim W5QM