Re: [TowerTalk] Another Grounding Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another Grounding Question
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 00:47:16 -0400
On 9/6/2012 11:44 PM, Gary "Joe" Mayfield wrote:
I need to make one more grounding connection by bonding the tower grounds to
the electrical ground.

My power meter is on a light pole about 20 feet from my house.  The power
comes to the pole underground and then goes to the house underground as
well.  It just pops up out of the ground for the light and then the meter.

Normally the meter would be on the house. The cable would come up to the basement wall from a junction box out at the power pole or a riser, go up to the meter box, then from the meter it'd go down the plate on top of the basement wall and follow that "inside" to the breaker panel. I've never seen one go through a basement wall.

At any rate there should be a green wire hooked to the panel, to the meter box, and then to 1, 2, or 3 ground rods depending on the soil. But with this arrangement I don't know if they'd be close to the house or not. I'd expect them to be close to where the power goes through the wall.

The power enters the house through a basement wall.

There is no obvious ground rod to be seen.

The tops of the ground rods may be roughly 3 to 6 inches under the surface. Possibly a little deeper.

 The pole has a bare wire running
from the meter into the ground.  I suspect it is attached to the bottom of
the pole.  If I bond the tower grounds to this wire have I done what I am
supposed to do?  If not what do folks suggest?

Go to the polyphaser page http://www.protectiongroup.com/Home and read up on lightning protection and safety.

The usual idea is to have everything enter the home through a grounded panel. Power, Telephone, cable, and coax, but often that is not feasible and you have to create a grounded bulkhead panel for the coax and rotator cables.

Typically there is one ground rod out about 3 feet from each tower leg. On mine each of those runs out about 80 feet with an 8' ground rod CadWelded(TM) to the grounding cable about every 16 feet. From the tower I have two grounding cables that run all the way to the bulkhead panel and the house entrance.
 http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm

Overall I have 32 or 33 8' ground rods CadWelded(TM) to over 600 feet of bare #2 stranded. Each strand is about #14 or so. For most installations that would be a lot of overkill, but I figured if I had it I might as well use it.

Yes that 100' 45G has been stuck directly many times.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Thanks and 73,

Joe kk0sd