[TowerTalk] Additional Info -- RE: Another Grounding Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Additional Info -- RE: Another Grounding Question
From: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:03:57 -0500
The breaker panel and disconnect are in the basement.  It is an 'old school'
deep basement where even the top of the panel is below the outside ground
level.

My description was not complete, so I will try to clarify.  I have had the
underground lines marked for several digging projects.  It is very clear
where the underground power lines from the utility come to the meter.  After
the meter the lines go right back underground at the pole.  Each time they
have marked for when I dig the results are very consistent.  The power lines
to and from the pole are at least 4 feet underground.

It looks to me like they dug a trench 4 feet deep from the meter/pole and
simply ran the wires down the trench and through the basement wall.  Then
later built a porch over the top of the filled in trench.

The lines from the meter to the panel enter the house about 4 feet
underground.  If there is a rod installed at this point, the top of the rod
would probably be 4 feet underground.  The point where the power lines enter
the house lies beneath a porch making digging four feet to look for a rod
quite difficult.

The sticker on the panel claims it passed inspection (30 years ago).  The
phone line (not in use) enters the house on another side, and has a simple
connection to a very small ground rod there.

Thanks for the Help and Suggestions!

73,
Joe kk0sd