Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:18:33 -0400
On 9/29/2012 11:19 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
For light tower work (up to 1000 lbs load) most crews use capstan rope
hoists (catheads). After getting used to one, you will never consider
anything else.

Unfortunately I do like the capstan, but it is completely unsuitable for solo work. IE, I need to be able to operate the winch alone, taking masts and sections to the top of the tower, guiding things into position, and then lowering them into place, yet still holding onto them while I climb up the back side of the tower to bolt things in place. IE, one person on the rope to the capstan and one or two for lateral movement of the parts works great, but I don't have that kind of help. There are several knowledgeable hams in the area, but scheduling is a problem.

I can use the occasional gofer on the ground, but generally will be working with untrained (and likely unknowing) helpers. That means planning ahead and depending on the equipment while practicing safe climbing.

The capstan is great if I have someone on the tower that knows what they are doing, or some one on the ropes to raise and lower parts while controlling their position. I'm not willing to depend on inexperienced rope handlers to the capstan or positioning while I work the tower. Also with me working the tower, I've still not built enough stamina for more than about an hours worth of work. I have done this with a hand cranked winch including the placement of tower sections, but I'd like to minimize the work required. To stay out from under things the hand cranked winch requires it be mounted away from the tower and that means building a mount that won't pull loose, or take up a bunch of space in the yard.

In either case I will not be working under anything being raised or lowered, nor will I let anyone else do it.

The heaviest parts will be less than 150#, hence I figure a winch with 1000# capacity should have plenty of safety factor.

When climbing you have to always remember that people make mistakes and equipment breaks. So the simplest, mundane things can kill you when doing tower work. You have to know what you are doing, the people on the ground have to know what they are doing and you prepare yourself to handle anything that might go wrong. You CAN NOT eliminate the danger but you can minimize it and minimize your susceptibility to things that do go wrong. One thing to never forget. "Tower work is Dangerous!"

73

Roger (K8RI)

http://www.midwestunlimited.com/categories/Tower/Capstans/

-Steve K8LX