Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:27:00 -0400
On 9/30/2012 12:07 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
An anchor windless with a capstan would do the job, but only 12v/24v.
Here is one with 27amp needed so a small switching supply might work
especially if you added a small battery to handle any high surge
currents.  Of course capstans only pull when the bitter end of the line
is manually tailed/tensioned.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=440775&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&APPARELCOLOR=&storeNum=50304&subdeptNum=50335&classNum=50336#.UGe_QiKcC7w

It takes very little training for some one to use a capstan, BUT they need to have a deep knowledge of what is needed when raising and lower parts on a tower.
A spool windless that could

"take up to several hundred feet of 1/4" steel cable or 7/16ths
double braided poly rope"

is also known as a boom winch.   Most are hydraulic motor driven.  For serious rigging
supplies, see Boats & Harbors ("yellow sheet") online
athttp://www.boats-and-harbors.com/

I've not seen an vehicle electric winch by Ramsey or others that could spool
that much cable.

Otherwise, the McMaster 120v choices look like they are lift rated if you can
stand the price tag.

Most of the winches I've seen on trucks could handle that much 5/16" or 7/16" double braided poly rope. It's surprising how much you can get on one of those. OTOH you probably couldn't get a 1/4 that much of wire rope on it.

Weight is the major problem for me. I could even use one of the truck winches, except for the weight of the battery. I also do not like the idea of a lead acid battery in that environment. Drop a 40-50# mast 60 feet and there'd be acid all over the place.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Grant KZ1W