Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 18:36:28 -0500
On 11/18/2012 5:22 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

  Does anyone have a good idea of minimum bending radius for  the 1/2
inch
cable TV hardline? I have been told anything from 5" to 50". I
believe 5"
is way  too sharp but 50"??? I sure that 50" would not cause any
problems
with the cable but ...

     I recollect that the minimum bending radius for all  coaxes is 6
times
the diameter. For 1/2" RG-8, that'd be 3 inches.

I think that's for coax with braided shield (the RG-8, RG-213) kind.

Right. Hardline, whether corrugated or smooth wall, is usually specified at 10 times diameter = minimum bend radius.

BTW, RG-8 is really 3/8" coax, so if 6xD is the spec, it should be OK wound on a 4.5" coil form for example. I would be concerned though about foam dielectric RG8 though on that small of a form.

-Steve K8LX