Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:45:08 -0500
On 2/26/2013 9:05 AM, Bill Ogden wrote:
You will have water in the conduit. I had my sections well glued, the exit
points turned downward, etc, etc.  A year later I pulled a rag through and
it was soaking wet.  (Didn't seem to hurt the coax or control cables.) My
initial conduit was too small (and too wet).  I replaced it with 4"
sections and drilled bottom 1/4" holes somewhat randomly and especially at
low spots. Set the conduit on a little gravel/stone/etc.  Mine seems
reasonably dry now, with just a hint of moisture on a rag.

Be certain to critter proof the conduit openings.

I said I'd forget to mention things. It's noy finished in the ohoyo, but the last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows the termination box at the base of the tower. The cables leave the conduit here and exit the boc through either bulkhead connectors or compression fitting which just grip the cable jacket . they are both moisture and critter proof. The house end is shown in photos 3 and 4 of the same page, although that has been replaced with a larger box.

73

Roger (K8RI)
  I simply stuffed a few
rags in the first time. Chipmunks removed the rags and built a nest way
inside.  They then removed the insulation from control wires, shorting
them, and even removed a little buryflex insulation and braid -- enough to
ruin that part of the cable.

Bill
W2WO