Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

To: <jcjacobsen@q.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:21:48 -0500
I guess it's possible. My conduit runs are terminated in weather-sealed
Hoffmann metal boxes at both ends. The box at the shack end is mounted to the
house and has holes drilled in the back just above the sill to run the cables
to a patch panel in the basement. So the conduits are exposed to the air inside
my house. At the tower end, cables run to the antennas through holes drilled in
the bottom of the utility box. In some case I used coax feed-through bushings
and in other cases I ran cables through fittings with rubber gaskets that
tighten against the cable. I tried to plug any visible holes with coax seal. I
don't get insects in the box, but I imagine it's not perfectly sealed against
air coming in through the cable exit holes.

So the long and the short of it (no pun intended) is that air probably can
circulate through the conduit, though I'd say it would be a very restricted
flow at the tower end. Our ambient humidity here in West Central NH tends to
run 40%-100% most of the time, so there's almost always enough water in the air
to condense.

Any water condensing in my conduits would cling to the insides, but I would
think eventually it could drip to the bottom and run downhill to pool at the
low point of the 90-degree bend, which is where I know the water is. Could
enough water condense in my conduits over a period of 16 years to soak a few
dozen feet of cable? I don't know. I'm certainly not worried about it.

73, Dick WC1M