Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 01:51:18 -0500
On 3/2/2013 10:14 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
One of the worst wear environments for a ball bearing is for it to have
small oscillatory motions.  As in a rotator infrequently used and
subject to wind oscillations.  This breaks down the oil film and starts
fretting corrosion/wear.

Except ROHN TB bearings run dry

As the aluminum appears to be a soft, cast nodular material, it wears a bit differently. The race material is far softer than the steel balls and forms, flat and very thin aluminum flakes. It looks like a dull white powder, that is quite slippery to the touch.

Due to the shape of the races and difference in material hardness, once you reach the load limit this flaking action proceeds rapidly. With my badly overloaded installation I could only get a couple of years out of TB 3's and 4's.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

 When you see the dimples in the races or flat
spots on the balls it is time for a major fix.  The rotary actuator disk
drive guys have struggled with this problem forever and use $$$
lubricants to reduce the problem (and the drive micro code now and then
runs the actuator full stroke).

If it is possible have occasional rotation to mostly rotate each ball,
then the oil film is re-established.  That means running the rotator end
to end  a few times a month.

A race weld filling plus lathe work is a tough project, I got by in
rebuilding a used Yaseu 2800 with dimples by wet sanding the races and
replacing the balls with stainless ones and it seems to work ok so far
(1.5 years).

Grant KZ1W