Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 07:19:37 -0400
When I put up my 45G I had hoped to insert a 20 foot 2 inch 95 lb mast from below through the tower sections but I found there was no way to get it in without bending the mast (neither useful or likely). I ended up lowering the mast into the top with the long (20 foot +/-) gin pole Fortunately I haven't had to take it down yet but I would use the gin pole again and pull it out of the top of the tower. I tied the mast above the halfway point so that I could somewhat easily pivot it to insert into the top thrust bearing. That might not be so easy if the mast was much heavier, say 200 lb. If you think of the "pointy" top as a thrust bearing of sorts the same scheme should work.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Mickey Baker