Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a mast..same thread, different name

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a mast..same thread, different name
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:52:17 -0400
Fine, as long as the ginpole can be counted on to handle the extra weight.

As others have implied, there is no good substitute for adequate headroom, yet just getting a longer 2" aluminum tube isn't a panacea either - the sight of a ginpole folding over is a bad sight to behold, I know from experience (many years ago).

Once you move from a small Rohn type pole to something that can SAFELY handle 20' heavy steel masts and 20' tower sections, you get into a totally different realm, where adequate ginpoles are heavy enough that they require at least a capstan winch to move them up and down the tower.

For operations similar to that being discussed I use a Rohn 25 track pole that places the roosterhead 25' above the tower top. The extra headroom might seem excessive, but it's a joy to be able to move the load around at will without having the load line pulling sideways. The three sections of 25 plus roosterhead plus track weighs in at around 300lbs, but I don't feel safe with anything less.

-Steve K8LX