Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51

To: Kathy Bookmiller <wb2aio@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:22:29 -0400
Hi, Kathy,

If I ever have any doubt, for $300 or so, I hire a boom truck. Before it
comes, loosen all the bolts to the base, but tighten two on each leg back.
Attach a rope to the base of the tower to be used as a tag line. Put your
ladder against the tower if you can do so safely and attach the lift strap
securely near the top of the tower. Ask the operator to put lift tension on
the crane. Move the ladder out of the way. Usually, these toweres were
installed by tilting up. If so, while the tower is supported by the
strap/boom, remove all bolts except those used as a hinge, loosen them and
have the operator lower the tower to the ground. Remove the final bolts
with the tower supported on he ground, then have the operator load it on
your trailer/truck.

If you look at simple lever math, a 400 pound tower can exert a very high
load with one end on the ground and people 6' up from the end. Be safe!

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Sunday, April 21, 2013, Kathy Bookmiller wrote:

> Hello TTérs,
>
> I was at an estate sale yesterday. Went there actually to look at the amp.
> advertised. Was gone but noticed a ham-m control box so took a look to see
> what it was for. Found a nice WT51 out back. Looks in excellent condition
> and not very old judging from lack of rust and the concrete base still
> looked pretty 'white'. On top is what I believe is a 4el Mosley tri-bander.
> Did they make a TA34?? Never had a Mosley antenna, always Hygain or Telrex
> in the past.
>
> Anyway, my problem is how to lower it. I'd put a ladder up to the top to
> remove the antenna/rotator but how to lower the actual tower over is the
> question. Didn't see anything I could attach a block and tackle to. I see
> from the current site, the tower weighs 360 pounds. Now I am a member of
> the local DX club, but like most clubs today, it is full of old men and
> couple of us slowly aging  woman.
>
> So I'm asking, how many folks do you think I would need to walk the tower
> over? Or any other ideas such as letting it fall onto something soft and
> crush able like a bunch of cardboard boxes? Ideas?
> 73,
> Kathy, W2NK

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.