Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:33:40 -0700
I've lived in suburban environments, so I know all about the noise.

I was also, for a variety of reasons, restricted to simpler antennas for
many years in such a place.  The amount of noise in such an environment is
surprisingly variable.  Some guys live in  a place that is like BPL was
deployed next door.  Others are OK enough to get the job done.  I was the
latter.

At least at my current QTH, the Windom is doing at least as well as my G5RV
of yore.  I use the Windom a lot less, now, because of my tower, but it is
still there for the times that I need it.  How would it have performed on
my former city lot?  Don't know; didn't do that experiment.  But, I suspect
it would have been OK.  A Windom (at least the one I cited) is nothing more
than a dipole with a slightly different feed point.

Are you going to contend that dipoles don't work in city circumstances as
well?

Or, are you judging from the popular Carolina Windom, which isn't real a
Windom at all?  I deliberately didn't deploy one of those.  I have no
opinion on it except that I couldn't find an adequate explanation of how it
worked, so I stayed away from it.  But if you're judging from that, then
the perspective _might_ have to do with all of the factors in it that
aren't really the Windom antenna.

Larry Wo0Z