Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 19:18:05 -0700
We use a Carolina Windom for one of our FD stations and I'm amazed how well
it works.

Yeah, I know it's just another wire antenna, but it really seems to work
well on all the bands.  I'd like to have one.

I put one up here using W8JI's dimensions and it loads well on all bands and
seems to do OK.

Performs much better than the G5RV it replaced.  73
Tom W7WHY

I have a 270 ft Carolina Windom off center fed dipole.  The short end is up
46 ft above the surrounding grade and
the other end is up about 25 ft. It is fed via 50 ohm coax and a 4:1 balun.

It performs fairly well on 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10.
I never hear anything on 6 so I don't bother.
I don't do 30 or 60, but probably could with this antenna.
I use the LDG 1000 watt Pro II automatic tuner and usually get matches
better than 1.3:1