Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:52:43 -0700
On 6/14/2013 12:49 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

     You're referring to mature crank-ups. UST uses  sealed bearings that
are pressed into their sheaves and they have for years. I'd  be surprised if
Tashjian wasn't using them too.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC

"Sealed" or not, I had several that froze up and had to be rehabilitated
by WD-40 followed by oiling. If they were really sealed, you would think (1) they would not freeze up and (2) externally oiling them wouldn't help. Another pulley was so bad it had to be replaced.
This is on a 15 year old US Tower.

Rick N6RK