Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 02:59:29 -0400
On 6/22/2013 12:27 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
I believe the screw anchor is good enough by itself to act grounding rod. I,
myself, did not put any grounding rods at the guy anchors but I used nine (9)
grounding rods around the foot of the tower. These rod are not copper rods but
galvanized steel. I also have galvanizes steel rods holding the tower in place.
I think I have enough grounding. I, needless to say, do not have enough for a
direct hit though. Who does?

The guy anchor should not serve as a ground for any thing, so it should not need a ground rod either.

The guy, if metal,should have an insulator near the anchor, preventing the anchor as serving as a ground.

Several of us have stated the circuit consisting of ground, tower, guy, guy anchor, and ground must be broken with an insulator, preventing the round rod as serving as a battery that eats itself up by serving as one of the electrodes. If this is done there is no need for a sacrificial electrode.

Keeping it simple is often the most reliable.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Hans - N2JFS