Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:35:44 -0400
On 6/22/2013 2:59 AM, K8RI wrote:

On 6/22/2013 12:27 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
I believe the screw anchor is good enough by itself to act grounding
rod. I, myself, did not put any grounding rods at the guy anchors but
I used nine (9) grounding rods around the foot of the tower. These rod
are not copper rods but galvanized steel. I also have galvanizes steel
rods holding the tower in place. I think I have enough grounding. I,
needless to say, do not have enough for a direct hit though. Who does?

The guy anchor should not serve as a ground for any thing, so it should
not need a ground rod either.

The guy, if metal,should have an insulator near the anchor, preventing
the anchor as serving as a ground.

Several of us have stated the circuit consisting of ground, tower, guy,
guy anchor, and ground must be broken with an insulator, preventing the
round rod as serving as a battery that eats itself up by serving as one
of the electrodes. If this is done there is no need for a sacrificial
electrode.

According to Anchor Guard, an anchor even all by itself can act as a corrosion cell:

"Basic Anchor Support Design Example 1. Figure 6 shows the basic design of a typical anchor support. The anchor support has all the necessary elements of a corrosion cell. The shaft itself acts as both anode and cathode as well as the electrical path between the two. The concrete and soil act as dissimilar electrolytes. The soil has less oxygen just above the concrete anchorage and consequently, less resistivity. The electrical path is the shortest between the anode and the cathode at the same point as the oxygen deficient soil, thus the deteriorating action of corrosion is most strongly in effect in this area. Experience has shown that this is the area most likely to deteriorate and cause the tower to fail."

-Steve K8LX