Re: [TowerTalk] UST bolt Torque question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST bolt Torque question
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:21:22 -0500
What, your Harbor Freight torque wrench doesn't have a "Snug" setting?

Don't feel obligated to tighten the mounting bolts in some proportion to their yield strength or max working torque. Once the "slop" is gone (at torque values less than 100 lb ft for the hardware in question) additional tightening really doesnbt help. If it makes you feel better tighten then to within 1/e of their rated working torque. It won't make the assembly more robust but it may make you feel better and give you a sense of accomplishment. For this purpose I have a torque wrench that is about 4 ft long and is calibrated up to 600 lb-ft .

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson