Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 11:38:34 -0500
Unfortunately through the grounding panel at the entrance is on the opposite
side of the house from the power entrance.
Roger (K8RI)

I have the same problem and have no desire to move the power panel.  I've
tied the single point ground to the power company's ground with some heavy
copper wire with additional ground rods every 8 feet on the 20 foot run
between the two grounds.  This must be an Achilles heel of my grounding
system since a near field lightning hit last month took out the computer and
anything tied into the computer - the ICOM CI-V interfaces
(IC-7800/PW-1/IC-9100),  the USB interfaces (rotator control, TNC, IC-9100)
with damage to the computer's mother board that took out the power supply
too.  Only the data interfaces were damaged since all of the radios are
working fine with the exception of the USB/CI-V functions.   Everything
except the linear is on a UPS.  The "excess energy" likely came thru the USB
and CI-V circuit grounds.  It was suggested that I tie the computer case
ground directly to the RF ground (single point ground system).  I wonder if
the UPS (two actually) isolates the electrical ground from the RF ground.
Suggestions/thoughts/prayers??   Ken K5RG