Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protecti

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 07:15:03 -0700
On 7/9/13 6:40 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Sure, but the network cables were connected directly to the computer
motherboards.  I have also lost a couple of RS-232 ports on my K3, which
now has a DB-9 surge protector on it - I'm inclined to think it's a
design problem.

Interestingly, ethernet should be easy to protect: it's galvanically isolated by a transformer, it's twisted pairs, etc.

It would be interesting to see what the failure path was. Was it a common mode current induced in all 8 wires that raised the voltage above the few thousand volts the isolation transformer handles? (standard spec is 1500V rms, higher is available, as are other protection devices)

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/Bourns_118/PDF/Bourns_ProtectingEthernetSolutions.pdf?redirected=1 has some discussion of this

Littlefuse also has a nice ap note..

I noted in my googling that some Ethernet devices do not use a transformer, and have no isolation (raspberry pi, apparently)

or was the capacitive coupling across the transformers at either end (presumably there's some sort of switch or hub at the other end which is also transformer coupled) enough to carry enough energy to do damage.

If there's Power over Ethernet involved that also gets in the mix.

I would think, though, that there is fairly robust Ethernet available, since a LOT of ethernet is installed in lightning areas, including outdoor installations of shorthaul microwave links, WiFi access points, etc. The inexpensive $20 switch for consumer use might not be as robust, but at that price, maybe it could be considered a consumable fuse?

---

The serial ports are another matter. RS232 was never intended for long runs, of course. And it's not galvanically isolated, although in a good implementation, it can take a pretty healthy voltage AND source/sink 30mA on any pin. But a lot of serial interfaces bring the TTL signals out directly with no buffering or they don't use clamp diodes (because the capacitance of the diodes limits the maximum speed) or.. tons of reasons.

The vast majority of RS232 installations also do not use a shielded cable with the shield tied to chassis, which is separate from the pin 7(25 pin connector) signal common. So induced voltages between boxes are a big problem with RS232. (not even getting into the "circuit common vs chassis ground" issue)

(Those telegraphers and teletypes with 60mA current loop signalling weren't fools. Nothing like miles of wire strung across the countryside to be a transient target and promote "robust" equipment design.)