To: "Larry Stowell" <lclarks@nc.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 128, Issue 4
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:17:36 -0500
Thanks for your reply.

The antenna is a hex beam at 25 lbs. The rotator and a small stub mast is no more than 15 lbs. So I will have about 40 lbs about 16 feet from the hinge which will require less than 100 lbs of down force. Then there is the weight of the tower 2/3 of which is on the long end and 1/3 on the short end. The tower weighs less than 200 lbs but lets err on the side of safety and call it 200 lbs. That means the bottom of the tower requires another 66 lbs or a total less than 166 lbs to start swinging the tower vertical if I don't extend the base of the tower with a "cheater bar." Of course the force required goes down rapidly as the tower swings up.

The added lever arm (cheater bar) will be at least 5 ft or more in length reducing the force requirement to start the antenna swinging up to about 110 lbs or so. I can handle that. Adding a pulley and a rope would give me a 2:1 advantage and reduce the initial requirement to about 55 lbs which is quite manageable. Or with 2 pulleys on one side and a single on the other side (and a longer rope) and I get 4:1 (if I didn't get confused) requiring about 28 lbs of rope tension which I should be able to manage on a bad day with adverse winds maybe ratcheting the requirement up a bit.

Any mechanical types out there? Feel free to burst my bubble. I freely admit my ignorance but ignorance is curable with education and experience.

The small hand winches I see would be very slow in tilting the tower up and once it is over half way up the force required will be getting quite small. I think a winch would be an impediment to progress and frustrating. Of course if someone points out gross errors in my thinking in the direction of much greater force requirements, I'll slap a winch on it.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Stowell