[TowerTalk] Crankup Danger

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup Danger
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:01:04 -0700
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 07:30:04 -0700
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Danger

Me again,
How do you guys with the motorized towers block your towers ?  I am thinking of
using 1 inch water pipe.
And where do you block it ?  Since it telescopes, do you you put blocking
through every section ?

Bob
K6UJ

On Aug 2, 2013, at 7:22 AM, Bob K6UJ wrote:

> Following this thread made me realize I will now block my motorized tower
> before climbing.
> I have a US Tower HDX-589MDPL and I have been lowering it down till it stops
> then climbing.
> But as pointed out, it is supported by the lift cable even when all the way
> retracted.
> Thanks for the info guys !
>
> Bob
> K6UJ

##  Some have used a piece of  wood  4x4...and stuffed it through at least 2 of
the 3 corners.
I don’t think 1 inch water pipe  would do the trick.   Maybe if it was 1 inch
solid..and u did
all 3 x corners.   Depending on the model of UST, in my case, it only has to be
blocked
below the 2nd section up from the concrete.   IE:  block it some where between
1 ft and
17 ft above the base.   All my upper sections have a lift cable on each face..3
x cables per
section.  Very unlikely that  all 3 x cables on any of the upper sections
would snap
simultaneously.   However my very top section only has 1 lift cable.   This is
on an
old style HDX-689.  So my very top section also needs to be blocked.

##  when the almost 600 lb, 1 inch thick triangular steel base was suspended
over the 9 ft
deep hole,  I used 2 x 10 ft long rectangular steel tubes for the job.  Each
tube is 6 inch wide x 2 inch
tall x  .25 inch thick.  They also had to handle the weight of the 12 x 5 ft
long anchor rods.  And each
group of 4 x anchor rods has a 9 inch sq plate on the bottom, .375 inch thick,
to increase the
pullout capacity.  I will  chop up one of the rectangular tubes   to make 2-3 x
short  blocking
devices.   The weight on them when installed, will only be the entire weight of
the tower  +
ants-rotor mast etc, MINUS the very bottom section +  winch assy.

##  Any blocking device has to sit on something..like any horizontal braces.
That’s a helluva lot
of weight on the welds for those Horz braces, hence using 2-3 pieces of steel
for blockers....just
to distribute the total weight  better.   Like  over 4-6 welds..instead of just
2.   Some 4x4 wood
would work fine, or some scrap steel thick wall pipe-tubing or square or
rectangular tubing.

## when fully nested, you would only have to lift the tower 1-2 ft to be able
to insert the blockers
at knee level...so its not that big of an issue  for install-removal.  30 secs
max.

Jim   VE7RF.
the very bowight