Re: [TowerTalk] Rust & paint

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rust & paint
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 21:28:09 -0500
On 12/2/2013 8:38 AM, Ray, W4BYG wrote:
My experience is cold galvanizing applied with a brush is vastly superior to
a sprayed application.  I have tower hardware that was brushed with cold
galvanizing over 35 years ago, which is still excellent and shows no break
down or rust.  Brushing puts a much thicker coat on.

That's more a function of the paint viscosity.  Using an HVLP spray gun,
you don't normally thin the paint much if at all, so, like with the brush,
 you can put on a thicker coat than a normal spray can or gun.

The drawback to using HVLP, like any spray gun is you have to clean the thing<:-))
That and they do use a lot of "dry" air.

There are times when a thinned first coat will penetrate into the cracks better.

I much prefer the HVLP approach as it uses much less paint, less over spray, and can be put on much thicker than a regular spray. For me, learning to use the HVLP was much easier than doing a good job with a regular spray. You do have to get used to the top heavy, gravity feed and learn the proper viscosity. Typically I don't thin Rustoleun at all.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,
Ray, W4BYG