Re: [TowerTalk] DC multi outlets

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DC multi outlets
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:08:17 -0800
On 1/11/14 2:35 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
Hello

I need to buy a power strip, multi outlet, to connect all thing I have in my
towers that need some voltage.

I actually use this one
http://www.vectronics.com/Product.php?productid=VEC-316 but is hard to do
connections with fat fingers on it.

I use a variety of Anderson PowerPole based distribution schemes. The basic connector is available in a whole lot of different current ratings.

West Mountain Radio makes a variety of fused and unfused distribution panels. Rigrunner 4005, etc.

PowerWerx.com has been a good vendor for me
http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/
I get my West Mountain stuff from them (as well as the connectors)..

A crimper for the inserts is nice, but not essential. For field work, I improvise with a pair of pliers, and then solder. Yes, I know that soldering connectors designed to be crimped is a bad idea: but using a non-standard crimper isn't ideal either.

I will say, though, once you have a crimper, you'll wonder why you ever fooled with anything else: If you don't crimp them perfectly (i.e. they squash out a bit) then it's hard to get the insert into the housing, so you wind up doing multiple squeezes with the pliers, etc.)

If you want to use binding post/banana plugs.. Get the dual plugs, that makes life a lot easier. We use hundreds of them at work for breadboards, and typically we put a diode (1n540x) reverse biased across them so that if you plug it in backwards, your exotic microwave circuit doesn't vanish in a puff of smoke.

THere are two flavors of banana plugs: solder and screw connectors.. They're both ok, but a bit of loctite on the screw is a good idea. Solder is better, but I find them hard to assemble properly. The techs at work, though, don't seem to have any problem.

There's a fair number of other companies that make them as well. You can get ones with 19" rack mount ears (very convenient for repeaters where everything is in a rack).

Any suggestion about something similar? Maybe something that use a
connector/plug on the cables so will be easy to connect to the outlet