Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-station antenna selection patch panel

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-station antenna selection patch panel
From: krishna kanakasapapathi <kkanakas@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:54:59 -0500
Thank you all for the inputs. I think we now have a good deal of data to start an in-depth investigation.

73s
krish
w4vku

On 1/18/2014 2:16 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 1/18/14 4:07 AM, David Robbins wrote:
Agree, any to any gives lots of relays no matter how you do it.  but you
really don't need vacuum relays, most of the common switch boxes today just used regular frame relays. If you want to keep cost down by using off the shelf parts try looking at the rcs-10 remote switches that do 8 to 1, I am
using them for my rx antenna switching:
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2011%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#bevswit ch and they work well... of course there is no lockout, you would have to come up with that in whatever provides the control power. I think k1xm was
working on something like that, but not sure how far it ever got.

I think it's the port to port isolation requirement that is going to drive the design.. Regular old power relays, if chosen wisely, will probably work just fine, but you might need to come up with switch architectures that cascade two or short unused ports, etc. to get enough isolation.

I doubt a single relay will get you 60 dB of isolation for instance.

There's a fair number of posts to TT over the years with suggested part numbers for the relays, and for such a big project, I'd go out and get a few and rig up some test fitures before committing (although, if you got a good deal on surplus and they cost $1/each in that quantity...)

Another aspect to consider is failure modes: if one of those dozens of relays sticks or fails to change positions you don't want to be blowing up radios with the output of the linear. This is one of the advantages of the various schemes where you have two SPDT relays in the path: if one fails, you've still got the other one to prevent disaster.

I've found that it's the driving circuitry that is often the more complex aspect. Although.. these days, there are people selling nifty computer controlled relay drivers AND decent software that can be configured appropriately, so you probably don't have to spend hours figuring out diode matrices.