Re: [TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower

To: "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:27:54 -0800
Relative to the RFI issue, I have a comment.

On my rural property, I had no access to any Internet connection other than
the poor performance satellite services. I found a small (four persons from
what I can tell) ISP with a 5 GHz backhaul service who placed an access
point near my communications tower giving me 5 Mbps down, and 1 Mbps up for
a reasonable price. If they add more customers to the access point, I get
the service for free. I am off the grid and supply the power to their
equipment from my solar plant. They are using less than 100 Watts presently
which is in the noise as far as I'm concerned. Everything so far is totally
informal, however they mentioned there would be some kind of contract if
they add another client to the access point.

Relative to the EMI/RFI issue, their equipment generated totally intolerable
noise in the lower HF bands. It completely wiped-out 75 meters and 40
meters. Since I was the only customer on their access point, I was free to
perform experiments to find where the noise was being generated. Their
Ubiquity switch is powered with a 24 VDC power supply which is a switcher
and that is the culprit. I placed all of their equipment in a sealed steel
enclosure with 110 dB line filters on the line and neutral. The noise is now
just detectable during the daytime when the 75 meter band is dead, and
completely overridden at night by atmospheric noise. My other option is to
replace their switcher with a linear supply. I fortunately found no noise on
the HF bands from digital signals traversing the CAT 5E shielded cables they
installed.

-Doug AE6SY