Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Homebrew Vertical - mounting ideas solicited

To: Larry Banks <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>, Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Homebrew Vertical - mounting ideas solicited
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:39:24 -0800

On 1/22/2014 9:17 AM, Larry Banks wrote:

It will be sitting on a 10 foot metal mast.

I am looking for ideas for mounting the driven element.
I want to be able to tilt the vertical over without effecting the radials. Obviously, the radials and driven element must not be electrically connected to the mast or each other. The mounting method should not effect the radiation pattern -- implying that it cannot be fabricated out of metal. I also want to be able to raise the vertical myself without my XYL needing to help me. I plan on fabricating this myself, only purchasing raw materials.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Use a fixed 10 foot mast to hold up the radials.
Use another 10 foot mast to hold up the vertical.
The vertical is mounted to its mast using
a piece of PVC pipe as an insulator.
Or alternately, the entire mast is PVC pipe.
The mast for the vertical has a hinge plate at the bottom
to allow it to tilt down at an azimuth that falls between
radials.  You can walk up the vertical.  Once it is
up, you clamp the hinged 10 foot mast to the fixed
10 foot mast to hold it up.

Summarizing: the entire 43 foot assembly consisting
of a 33 foot vertical on top of a 10 foot mast pivots
from horizontal to vertical.

No, I don't have pictures of this.

Rick N6RK