Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Homebrew Vertical - mounting ideas solicited

To: larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Homebrew Vertical - mounting ideas solicited
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:12:47 -0600 (CST)

lets see if I can describe this... my 40m 4-square verticals are rohn pipe
towers supported between two 2x4's about 5' up.  there are 2 bolts through the
2x4's and vertical that I insulate with fiberglass tube so you can pull one
bolt and lay the vertical down.  this is a bit more than a one person job
though because those verticals are pretty heavy.

an idea to do this now so it will work from 10' up might be something like this:

1. mount two plates at the top of your support mast sticking out one side about
the thickness of your vertical's base and above the base by at least that
much... these will be plates that the vertical will pivot on.

2. find round fiberglass that fits inside the bottom of your vertical sticking
out probably 5' or so from the bottom of the tubing (grainger and other
industrial supply places have assortments of fiberglass tubing and rod that
would work for this)

3. clamp the fiberglass to the mast going through the two plates to simulate
the raised position, draw a vertical line on the pivot plates at the center
line of the fiberglass to show how far out from the mast to drill.  then
pretend you are laying the vertical over and figure out how far above the top
of the support mast you need the pivot hole to be for it to let the top of the
vertical down so you can work on it... probably twice the thickness of the
fiberglass, but don't cut it too close.

4. clamp the fiberglass back in the raised position, leave enough above the
plates to go inside the vertical base and drill the pivot hole through the two
plates and fiberglass... insert a good bolt with washers to let it pivot and
keep it from moving sideways if the fiberglass is much smaller than the mast.

5. locate one or two places down the support mast and drill through the mast
and fiberglass for bolts to hold the bottom of the fiberglass when the vertical
is raised.

6. put the vertical on the fiberglass and drill a hole through to hold it in
place and to connect the feed cable.

if your vertical isn't too heavy, and the fiberglass is long enough, and you
are strong enough, and it isn't too windy, and you are lucky, you should be
able to undo the bottom bolts on the fiberglass and tip over the vertical on
the pivot bolt, maybe using a piece of rope on it so you aren't up a ladder
trying to keep it from crashing down once it gets past your reach.